[gst-devel] gst-bad equalizer element

Stefan Kost ensonic at hora-obscura.de
Mon Feb 12 09:39:33 CET 2007

Hi,

I was browsin the sources too and found its using:

/* args are in the range [-1 ... 1] with 0 meaning "no action"
  * convert to [-0.2 ... 1] with 0 meaning no action via the function
  * f(x) = 0.25 * 5 ^ x - 0.25
  */
static gdouble
arg_to_scale (gdouble arg)
{
   return 0.25 * exp (log (5) * arg) - 0.25;
}

This does not look like its doing a db
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Decibel) mapping. If '0' is no action
(factor 1.0) is a:
* value of 1 then meaning factor+1=2 aka double volume (+3db) and
* value of -1 then meaning a fifth of the volume (somewhere around -7db)
Thats what I assume, but maybe company can clarify. If its like this
it should be changed. The range is a bit too small imho. E.g. the EQ
in winamp it goes from -12db to 12 db (in media player it goes from
-14 to +14 whatever). I'd say -12 to +6 sounds good.

Stefan