[gst-devel] live video latency

Anthony Baxter anthony at interlink.com.au
Mon Jan 22 03:40:52 CET 2007

For an upcoming play, I'm taking a live webcam feed, flipping it and
adding an overlay to the image. I've got this working with the
following pipeline:
gst-launch "filesrc location=overlay.png ! pngdec
! alphacolor  ! videomixer name=mix ! ffmpegcolorspace
! videoflip method=horizontal-flip ! xvimagesink
v4l2src! ffmpegcolorspace ! mix."

The only problem with this is that there's about a half-second or so
of latency between the live action and what comes out the end of
the pipeline. A much simpler pipeline also exhibits this. Are there
any obvious tricks for reducing the latency?

Thanks,
Anthony