[gst-devel] Problems with USB speakers

Rodrigo Castro rodrigo.castro at mezzano.com.br
Mon Jun 18 20:50:28 CEST 2007

I am trying to use USB speakers with my Gentoo distribution, but Banshee
(which uses gstreamer) crashes, although MPlayer works perfectly with
it. After investigating a little, I noticed that gstreamer is failing
and making banshee crash. Testing the default output set to ALSA with
gstreamer-properties gives me the following error:

gstreamer-properties-Message: Error running pipeline 'ALSA - Advanced
Linux Sound Architecture': Could not get/set settings from/on resource.
[gstalsasink.c(570): set_hwparams (): /pipeline0/alsasink1:
Rate doesn't match (requested 44100Hz, get 0Hz)]

And, when running gst-launch:

gst-launch-0.10 alsasrc device=hw:1 ! audioconvert ! vorbisenc ! oggmux
! filesink location=/usr/bin/PCoR/sounds/start.ogg Setting pipeline to
PAUSED ... ERROR: Pipeline doesn't want to pause. ERROR: from element
/pipeline0/alsasrc0: Could not open resource for reading.
Additional debug info:
gstalsasrc.c(526): gst_alsasrc_open (): /pipeline0/alsasrc0:
Recording open error: No such file or directory
Setting pipeline to NULL ...
FREEING pipeline ...

On my system, I have two soundcards, the onboard one and the USB
speakers, as you may see below. I configured alsa to use card 1 as the
default output device.

card 0: V8237 [VIA 8237], device 0: VIA 8237 [VIA 8237]
  Subdevices: 4/4
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
  Subdevice #1: subdevice #1
  Subdevice #2: subdevice #2
  Subdevice #3: subdevice #3
card 0: V8237 [VIA 8237], device 1: VIA 8237 [VIA 8237]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 1: default [USB  AUDIO  ], device 0: USB Audio [USB Audio]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

Do you have any idea of what may be wrong? I compiled and tested CVS
version and it didn't work either.

Thanks in advance,
Rodrigo