[gst-devel] New gst-ffmpeg

Jens Persson xerxes2 at gmail.com
Sun Oct 28 19:43:08 CET 2007

Hello folks!

Well, tha last gst-ffmpeg is a tad dated now (released 6 dec 06) and
there has been a ton of improvements in ffmpeg since then so I'm
wondering if (or when) a new release is planned? I talked with David
Schleef on IRC and he told me (which I already found out some time ago
too :D) that you have to grab a new ffmpeg snapshot from svn and make it
play nice with gstreamer. He thought it was a matter of "a few days
work" so it doesn't sound that bloody hard to do. The main problem with
the current one is with x264 encoded files which works terribly
(unplayable) with gstreamer but works beutifully with latest mplayer rc.
Most other older formats seems to work just fine though but even they
will probably work even better with an uptodate ffmpeg snapshot. If I
had the knowledge I would be happy to donate some time and help out with
it but I suck terribly in C so I better stay out of the action, at least
for now. :D

Greets Jens