[gst-devel] Event not reaching pad

Steve Fink sphink at gmail.com
Fri Sep 14 02:37:13 CEST 2007

On 9/13/07, Wim Taymans <wim.taymans at gmail.com> wrote:

> I would say basesrc (filesrc) should push it downstream in the case of a
> downstream OOB event. I just fixed this in CVS.

Thanks! I'm still not seeing it get further, but I'm probably running
the wrong version now or something. I'll try it again tomorrow.

> Ideally, you would send the event to your element or implement an action
> signal to trigger something.

How can I find my element if I'm creating it from a text description
(for example)? I see gst_bin_get_by_name() and
gst_bin_get_by_name_recurse_up(), but I'd really want to search
throughout the pipeline, and probably by type or property or something
rather than name. I'm also not crazy about finding my element in the
first place, because I'd kind of like to be able to swap in a
different element that responds to the same signal without changing
anything else.

"action signal"? What's that? You mean a posix signal handler?

I also considered grabbing onto the bus and doing it through messages,
but I wasn't sure if it made sense for my element to know anything
about buses. Or at least, to receive events from them -- from the
description, they sound more like element -> application
communication, not the other way around.