[gst-devel] Audio pipeline: how to detect beats, BPM counter

Stefan Kost ensonic at hora-obscura.de
Mon Sep 24 21:51:51 CEST 2007

Hi,

Florent THIERY wrote:
> Thanks for the help :) I'll try both...

I would probably write my own element for that and emit the analyzed bpm as
messages (like level and spectrum elements do). It would be cool if someone
could try start experimenting with this. Once we have a basic element for this
in gst-plugins-bad the algorithm can be improved. I would start with a lowpass
with cut-off around 200 Hz. Then calculate energy on the signal (square of
smples), look for max values and see if distance between 2 maximum falls into a
grid.

Stefan

> In the meantime, how can i get the instant sound level in a sound
> pipeline? F.e. i'd like my pipeline to emit a special gobject signal
> when there is no sound input (<threshold).

use the 'level' element for a level-meter.