[gst-devel] Problems when using osssink in ARM

John Faith jfaith at freescale.com
Sat Sep 29 02:58:11 CEST 2007

Hello,
I am seeing the same problem as is described earlier in this thread.
When I use 'gst-launch -v filesrc location=file.mp3 ! mad ! audioconvert
! osssink', I get silence like the original poster.

I have verified that madplay works on my ARM board, and I have heard the
short sample tone using 'gst-launch audiotestsrc ! audioconvert !
audioresample ! osssink', so I assume the hardware, OSS driver, and
gstreamer are mostly working.

As an experiemnt, I used filesink instead of osssink, and used an OSS
utility to play the raw audio data.  This also produced sound.

Then I put printf()s in gst-plugins-good-0.10.5/sys/oss/gstosssink.c to
print out the first 10 bytes of the data passed to gst_oss_sink_write()
and saw only zeros, which explains the silence.

Has anyone been able to solve this problem or could advise on other
debug methods?  I have used --gst-debug-level, but I am not sure what to
look for.

If I replace filesink with osssink, what might cause the data to be all
zeros?

Thanks!,
John