[gst-devel] plugin opengl multiplatform

David Schleef ds at schleef.org
Tue Apr 22 04:16:03 CEST 2008

On Mon, Apr 21, 2008 at 07:56:56PM +0200, Julien Isorce wrote:
> The other thing that I want to talk about is the "freeglut" part in this
> plugin. I use it to create the windows easily but there is a limitation.
> It's not possible to implement the gstxoverlay interface because freeglut
> cannot receive winId from an existing window. So, there is two solutions to
> resolve this problem. The first one is to extract the small part I used in
> freeglut and just put it into the plugin. The second solution is to use an
> other opengl toolkit (glut-like) that could permit to implement the
> gstxoverlay interface.
> The second solution is possible because the deep mecanism of this plugin
> will be the same (just by replacing freeglut fucntions by the identicals
> functions from an other library)
> What solution do you expect to be the best? If it's the second one, which
> library are you thinking ?

This is, of course, one of the reasons for not using a GL extention
library.  I simply have been unable to find one that is sane.

There is also a third solution, which is to reparent the glut window
into whatever window ID you are given by the application.  There are
a few things wrong with this method, for example, X events don't get
to the application correctly in this case.  (I think there are
workarounds, though.)

dave...