[gst-devel] Does gstreamer support XvMC?

David Schleef ds at schleef.org
Fri Aug 22 08:21:33 CEST 2008

On Fri, Aug 22, 2008 at 01:14:32PM +0800, Zhao, Halley wrote:
> mplayer or xine could use XvMC to offload some video(mpeg2) decoding to GPU as following:
>
> mplayer -vo xvmc -vc
>
> xine -V xvmc
>
> But I can't find a way to make gstreamer(totem) to use xvmc.
> I suspect gstreamer can't support XvMC, is it correct?

That's correct.  There's really no point to using XvMC on a typical
desktop machine, as the CPU has plenty of power to decode SD MPEG-2.

As an aside, XvMC is a really horrible interface to use to build a
decoder.  I've written several gstreamer elements for hardware decoders
before, creating one with XvMC would be like poking my eye repeatedly
with a sharp stick.

dave...