[gst-devel] Can a MPEG-1 with Audio Layers 1&2 plugin be in plugins-good (patentwise)?

Sebastian Dröge sebastian.droege at collabora.co.uk
Sun Aug 24 18:49:38 CEST 2008

Am Sonntag, den 24.08.2008, 09:29 -0700 schrieb David Schleef:
> > Okay, so let me check.  If libTwoLAME, an LGPL library that encodes
> > MPEG-1 Audio Layer 2 was wrapped, and assuming that it was of
> > sufficient quality then it could be included in gstreamer plugins-good?
>
> Yes.  Feel free to improve the one in -bad.

IMHO the one in -bad is ready to be moved to -good or -ugly (I'd prefer
-ugly because it's MPEG and because of the reasons you mentioned above).

It's more or less the same code as the lame plugin with just the
function names and properties exchanged.

> > Also, lets say that mpegaudioparse, which is currently in
> > plugins-ugly, had *all* the MPEG-1 Audio Layer 3 parsing removed,
> > and a new plugin called something like mpegaudiolayer_1_and_2parse
> > was created.  Could this hypothetical mpegaudiolayer_1_and_2parse
> > be added to plugins-good?
>
> Unless I misunderstand something, mpegaudioparse could be moved to
> -good as is.  However, I imagine that whomever made the decision in
> the past (check the archive) also used the "MPEG -> ugly" rule.

It was moved to -ugly because it's not very useful without a decoder and
because it's "MPEG"... It could be moved to -good without problems as
the frames for all three layers and three possible mpeg audio versions
are essentially the same for the parser.