[gst-devel] plugin/element names

Michael Smith msmith at xiph.org
Thu Dec 18 20:15:07 CET 2008

On Thu, Dec 18, 2008 at 3:28 AM, mattias <barthel at tid.es> wrote:
> Michael Smith wrote:
>> On Tue, Dec 9, 2008 at 12:29 AM, mattias <barthel at tid.es> wrote:
>>
>>> Thanks,
>>>
>>> But can I have the different elements in a plugin/group in different
>>> shared libs?
>>>
>>> Or is 1 shared lib = 1 plugin?
>>>

>> That's right - a plugin is a shared library. Each gstreamer plugin can
>> contain multiple elements, though - there's no problem with that.
>>
>> Can you explain why you want to do this? It doesn't make a lot of
>> sense with the information you've given us so far.
>>

> Ok, the thing is that we have a group of elements which are functionally
> different but belong
> to the same organizational group. I cant see how these could even be
> combined in one and the same pipeline.
> So putting them all in the same .so is not really optimal because when
> you would use any of them all the others would be loaded into memory as
> well.

Well, a plugin is a shared library - nothing more. It corresponds to
the physical organisation of a group of elements - not anything
"organisational" at all. If you don't want them in the same shared
library, that's fine - then they're in different plugins.

Applications don't generally care about plugins; they're an internal
implementation detail of gstreamer - apps only care about elements.

Mike