[gst-devel] GstPadTemplate and element details changes in CVS

Michael Smith msmith at fluendo.com
Tue Feb 5 11:41:12 CET 2008

On Mon, 2008-02-04 at 19:54 +0100, Sebastian Dröge wrote:
> So the question is what to do about this 3 open issues. We could either
> say that a) is an unsupported hack and people should properly design
> their stuff, fix b) in core and declare pad template instances as
> immutable and c) say that this behaviour is a bug and only worked
> properly before by accident.
>
> Or we could revert the changes and keep everything as is until 0.11.

I think (a) should be considered a hack, that just sounds horrid. And we
should fix it in our sources. However, it does work, and we do do it.
Likewise (b) and (c) - we have plugins doing this stuff, so it's
unreasonable to assume that nobody else does.

API/ABI stability is something we tout as a major benefit of using gstreamer.
Breaking it should not be an option (it can happen accidently; we're not perfect)

Just like the many other not-quite-ideal bits of API, this change should
be marked as an intended change for 0.11, and we should do it then.

That's my 2 cents, anyway :-)

Mike