[gst-devel] New Gstreamer equalizer ranges

Sebastian Dröge slomo at circular-chaos.org
Thu Feb 28 19:40:41 CET 2008

Am Donnerstag, den 28.02.2008, 11:33 -0700 schrieb Adam Olsen:
> On Wed, Feb 27, 2008 at 12:28 AM, Sebastian Dröge
> <slomo at circular-chaos.org> wrote:
> >  There's no sane way to convert the -1,1 range to -24,12. It was,
> >  internally, the same range before so you would need to map -1 to 24, 0
> >  to 0 and 1 to 12 which probably won't give you the expected results.
> >

> Why were the values -24,12 chosen?  Does it map to other music player ranges?

This range was chosen because it makes most sense. It maps to the amount
of dB the given frequency band is amplified (or attenuated) while the
-1,1 range didn't have any real meaning.

We've chose -24 as lower limit as there has to be some limit, it could
easily be extended to -100 or something. +12 was chosen as upper limit
because everything else will most likely give clipping and even +12
gives clipping in many situations already. There's no reason why these
ranges could be extended though