[gst-devel] MP3, AAC and MPEG Audio codecs

Michael Smith msmith at xiph.org
Tue Jun 10 18:54:21 CEST 2008

On Tue, Jun 10, 2008 at 3:53 AM, Nitin Mahajan <nitinm76 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> HI!
>
> I tried to play MP3, AAC media files with gstreamer with gst-ffmpeg plugin. I could not play both of them.

FFmpeg doesn't have an aac decoder, and the mp3 decoder is very bad.
GStreamer won't autoplug the mp3 decoder, though you can use it if you
build a pipeline manually.

There's a good quality mp3 decoder in gst-plugins-ugly ('mad'), and an
aac decoder in gst-plugins-bad ('faad').

> Whether MP3 and AAC have been removed from ffmpeg in gst-ffmpeg? If, yes whether it has been removed from configuration or through source code?
>
> >From Quality and legal perspectives which ones would be the right set of plugins for MP3, AAC and MPEG Audio for playback purpose?

>From a legal perspective, you'll want to get a licensed decoder
plugin. Fluendo has a free mp3 decoder plugin (fully licensed). You'll
need to pay for any legal AAC decoder.

Mike