[gst-devel] High CPU usage in ffmpegcolorspace

Sebastian Dröge slomo at circular-chaos.org
Mon Jun 16 18:56:23 CEST 2008

Am Montag, den 16.06.2008, 16:52 +0200 schrieb Wim Taymans:
> On Mon, 2008-06-16 at 16:17 +0200, Julien Isorce wrote:
> > Hi
> >
> > Is it normal that this pipeline :
> > gst-launch-0.10 videotestsrc ! "video/x-raw-yuv, format=(fourcc)YUY2,
> > width=720, height=576, framerate=(fraction)25/1" ! ffmpegcolorspace !
> > video/x-raw-rgb, bpp=32, depth=24 ! fakesink sync=1
> > uses 50% of the CPU on a Pentium4 2.80GHz, 2 Go RAM ?
> >
> > Please someone can confirm that and say us your CPU ?
>
> 24% according to top on an Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU T7100 @ 1.80GHz.
> Which would equate to filling up half a Core. Yes, ffmpegcolorspace is
> slow, patches welcome.

It doesn't make much sense to patch ffmpegcolorspace. We should better
create a new element that takes the swscale code from ffmpeg as it is
still developed (ffmpegcolorspace's base imgconvert is deprecated in
ffmpeg).

Also there's a GSoC project for writing LGPL'd assembly optimizations
for swscale (currently the optimizations are GPL).