[gst-devel] Dynamic thread creation in Gstreamer

Mattias Barthel mb at novanotio.es
Sun Jun 29 09:52:36 CEST 2008

Thomas Vander Stichele wrote:
> On Fri, 2008-06-27 at 09:53 +0200, mattias wrote:
>
>> Ok, good to know that, thanks.
>>
>> What I was seeing through gdb was the bezerk thread creation of x264enc.
>> x264enc creates a new thread for each frame it encodes.
>>

> Are you sure about this ? That sounds very wrong.  Can you see where
> this happens in the code ?
>
> Thomas

Another way of proving this is to launch a pipeline involving x264enc
and threads.

gst-launch videotestsrc ! x264enc threads=2 ! ffdec_h264 ! fakesink

And then in another terminal launch top -p <pid of gst-launch>,
the press 'H' for showing threads. Then lower to update interval of top
to 1s, press 's' and '1'.

You will see in top most commonly  2 threads but in some process
captures top will show you the third thread when it is alive as they
coincides.

Mattias