[gst-devel] a Google Summer of Code GUI application for Media / Multimedia operations

Stefan Kost ensonic at hora-obscura.de
Wed Mar 19 09:45:45 CET 2008

Hi Roberto,

Quoting Roberto Fagá <robertofaga at gmail.com>:

> Hello Stefan Kost
>
>  I was writing an application to Summer of Code, and found you will be
> the mentor of gstreamer projects. Let me (try to) be small and
> objective about the idea which I have for an application.
>  It is a media operator, or multimedia if you prefer, a program to let
> user convert videos, audio and images across different formats, plus
> extract audio from videos, merge image and audio into a video and
> these kind of operations. I thought in a set of glade interfaces which
> user select easily the operation and operations are done on background
> with gstreamer.The main goal is to bring easy use to user on daily use
> (how many 'use's), using all gstreamer lib resources as possible.
>
>  Suggestions? Is this project nice to gstreamer or should I try
> another organization?

I put the gstreamer mailing list in CC. I suggest that you subscribe
there and discuss the proposal there too. We can also talk on irc
about this. If you look at http://gstreamer.freedesktop.org/apps/ you
can see that most applications are media-players. Your brief proposal
describes a nice tool that we don't have in this form. There are some
tools already for subtasks, but some of those seems to be not that
active. Some examples
convert sounds : Sound Converter
convert to ogg files : OggConvert
There is also GEntrans targetting transcoding.

I definitely encourage you to write a proposal. As this is an
extensive project I recommend that you structure the features into
iterations (basic features, addition #1 (e.g. audio related), addition
#2 (e.g. video related)). I hope you also plan to work on this beyond
the summer.

>  Thanks for the attention!
>
>  Roberto Faga

Ciao