[gst-devel] Songbird license exception

David Schleef ds at schleef.org
Fri Mar 21 18:58:05 CET 2008

On Thu, Mar 20, 2008 at 08:01:19PM -0700, Stephen Lau wrote:
> (apologies if this is the wrong list, I didn't see a more appropriate
> list at http://gstreamer.freedesktop.org/lists/)
>
> I'm the developer advocate @ Songbird, and I'd like to put the following
> exception (as drafted by our crack legal team) in our license.  (We're
> under GPL):
>
> ------
> As a special exception to the terms of the GPL, POTI, Inc. hereby grants
> permission for non-GPL compatible GStreamer plugins to be combined
> and/or linked with Songbird.

(/me puts on hat of pedantry)

Technically, the GPL already allows a user to combine and/or link a
GPL application with non-GPL-compatible plugins.  It is the distribution
of the combination that is the problem.  I'd suggest:

  As a special exception to the terms of the GPL, Yoyodyne, Inc., hereby
  grants permission to you to combine SmallApp with any GStreamer plugin,
  and to link, use, and distribute the combination.  This clause does
  not modify any rights or obligations you may have related to licenses
  for any other software.  This permission...

Of course, this language should be reviewed by someone who knows what
they're doing.  IANAL, etc.

dave...