[gst-devel] Summer Coding: Screen Recording on the Free Desktop

Sjoerd Simons sjoerd at luon.net
Wed Mar 26 11:24:03 CET 2008

On Tue, Mar 25, 2008 at 05:19:20PM -0700, cellenro cellenro wrote:

> --- Thomas Dybdahl Ahle <lobais at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > On Tue, 2008-03-25 at 02:08 -0700, cellenro cellenro wrote:
> > > Ogg Theora is not the best codec for screen > recording
> > > because even at higher resolutions it is hard to see
> > > text clearly. Part of the project will be to
> > > evaluate the feasibility of using Driac as the codec for recording
> > > and editing.
> >
> > Then what about extending istanbul with driac
> > support?

> Extending istanbul is not the optimal way to implement
> the specification for the screen recording application
> because of the chosen technology.

If you want to use this argument then you will have to explain what is wrong
with the technologies Istanbul uses for your purposes and why your chosen set
is better.

> The goal of the project is to bring a professional
> screen casting application to GNU/Linux. Creating a
> new project, as a result of this different direction,
> seems to be the best way forward.

Ditto. Please explain why it will be hard to modify istanbul to reach your
goals. I'm not saying your wrong, but at some rationale to support your
arguments is really needed.

  Sjoerd
--
If it smells it's chemistry, if it crawls it's biology, if it doesn't work
it's physics.