[gst-devel] gstreamer endianess

Wim Taymans wim.taymans at gmail.com
Tue May 20 18:07:58 CEST 2008

On Tue, 2008-05-20 at 17:52 +0200, Mattias Barthel wrote:
> Wim Taymans wrote:
> > On Tue, 2008-05-20 at 17:27 +0200, Mattias Barthel wrote:
> >
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> I am trying to get a simple pipeline working from a Ps3(CELL CPU) to an
> >> Intel desktop using udpsink/udpsrc.
> >>

> > Using RTP? what payload type?
> >
> Yes, using rtptheoradepay
> >
> >> I have noticed that various variables of integer storage size are
> >> incorrect in the header of a buffer on the recieving side .
> >>

> > What variables?
> >
> Using header and then ident. The ident variable is not being well
> understood if I dont place a ntohl call on the Intel machine.

All RTP headers are big endian and from looking at the theora payloader
code it seems that those are indeed generated as big endian (maybe that
explains why a ntohl is needed on the intel machine). What depayloader
are you using?

> >> I have seen that many plugins have some endianess property. Could this
> >> be used for this?
> >>

> > Normally not, what plugin has such an endianness property?
> >

> >> Is gstreamer endianess safe?
> >>

> > Pretty much yes, it runs on both little endian and big endian machines
> > for many years now.
> >

> Maybe thats what you meant but
> has it been tested between different machines as well?

Yep, and most of the payloaders/depayloaders are also tested against
other implementations (mostly live555, and quicktime server).

Wim