[gst-devel] fixed-aspect video scaling?

Dan Taylor dtaylor at startrac.com
Wed Nov 12 04:28:33 CET 2008

I want to scale video to a fixed height, while keeping the image
proportions.

I do not see this capability in videoscale.  If I set only one property,
it is the only one scaled,
and the property ranges do not have the "overloaded" values of the
scaling in mplayer.

I can either do the "overload", or something I think is cleaner, which
is add another property,
(default to "off", to preserve the current behavior), called somthing
like "aspect" (suggestions
welcome).  This property would enforce proportional scaling, within the
limitations of the
scaling algorithms.

There is the question of priority (horizontal or vertical) when aspect
is preserved, but I think
that could be handled by using a "best-fit".  Neither result should
exceed the "to" size,
of course, and whichever dimension loses more, proportionally, would be
given priority.  For
example, if width would lose 10% if proportionally scaled to height,
while height would lose
8% if scaled proportionally to width, the the image would be scaled to
width.  Some of us
might need more control than that, so "aspect" could be multi-valued,
such as "off", "on"
(best-fit), "x" (or "width"), and "y" (or "height").