[gst-devel] Performance with gst-launch pipeline and playbin

Manish Sharma manishsharma13 at gmail.com
Fri Nov 14 05:33:12 CET 2008

Hi,

Thanks to all for replying back.

2008/11/14 Zhao, Halley halley.zhao at intel.com
1.       playbin will always link ffmpegcolorspace and videoscale into the
pipeline, it will impact the performance compare to customized pipeline.

Hi Zhao,

I apologize for not mentioning this in advance. We are doing this testing on
ARM platform. We have disabled ffmpegcolorspace and videoscale inside
playbin code. so that our video pipeline should look similar to the one
which I have mentioned in customized pipeline.

gst-launch filesrc location=/media/sdmmc0p1/Comebacks.avi ! avidemux
name=demux { demux.audio_00 ! queue ! omx_mp3dec ! alsasink } {
demux.video_00 ! queue ! omx_h264dec ! xvimagesink }

One more behaviour I have observed while debugging with PowerTrace
hardware that playbin creates 12 threads for the following command while
similar specific pipeline creates 10 thread. What are these extra 2 threads
created by playbin? Is there any clue on the same?

1) with playbin (12 threads)

gst-launch playbin uri=file:///media/sdmmc0p1/Comebacks.avi

2) with gst-launch specific pipeline (10 threads)

gst-launch filesrc location=/media/sdmmc0p1/Comebacks.avi ! avidemux
name=demux { demux.audio_00 ! queue ! omx_mp3dec ! alsasink } {
demux.video_00 ! queue ! omx_h264dec ! xvimagesink }

Regards,
Manish