[gst-devel] querry : how do i irradicate this warning ?

sudarshan bisht bisht.sudarshan at gmail.com
Wed Oct 1 08:12:39 CEST 2008

Hi ,
       Actually GST_BUFFER_DATA api will return guint8* type of data ,
but here you are attempting to get GstBuffer* type of data that is not
possible , because GstBuffer* is a main buffer structure which has data
pointer in it of guint8* type which holds the actual data of GstBuffer .
  So if u do like following it will not give u any warning ,

               1        guint8* buf;
               2       GstQueue3 *buffer;

               3       buf = GST_BUFFER_DATA(buffer->buffer->data);

 for more information about GstBuffer , see this
http://gstreamer.freedesktop.org/data/doc/gstreamer/head/gstreamer/html/gstreamer-GstBuffer.html#GstBuffer
.

On Wed, Oct 1, 2008 at 11:30 AM, arnabsamanta
<arnabsamanta at tataelxsi.co.in>wrote:

> Hi
>        Am modifying a plugin code.
>        Am getting the following warning which i need to fix . I know the
> program
> compiles with warnings but i assume it can create problems at the later
> stage and want to fix it but am absolutely clueless for why am getting
> this.
>
>        Am posting the code piece and warning message.
>
>                1       GstBuffer *buf;
>                2       GstQueue3 *buffer;
>
>                3       buf = GST_BUFFER_DATA(buffer->buffer);
>
>        where ,
>                "GstQueue3" is a structure having an element as " GstBuffer
> *buffer"
> within.
>                The purpose of this line 3 is to copy data from
> buffer->buffer to buf;
>
>        line 3 : warning : assignment from incompatible pointer type
>
>        I know why do we get this warning in C but since am new to GStreamer
> am
> unable to figure it out.
>        I have seen many plug-in codes using the macro this way.
>        can any body help me ?

> message and any attachments contained in it.

Regards,

Sudarshan Bisht