[gst-devel] Query : ASF rtp payloder

Wim Taymans wim.taymans at gmail.com
Mon Oct 13 13:56:27 CEST 2008

On Mon, 2008-10-13 at 17:17 +0530, Irfan Shaikh wrote:

Please keep the list in CC for future reference.

> My requirement is to use rtsp server. I have decided following
> approach to stream ASF file on WMP player.
>
>         I need a ASF demuxer. which removes the ASF header object. I
> thought of sending the ASF header object using non RTP means. And then
> send the ASF data packets by packetizing them with RTP header using
> ASF RTP packet payloader.
>
>         But i think, Current ASF demuxer "asfdemux" wont wrk in this
> case. I have a understanding that currenct "asfdemux" also removes the
> data packet header (error correction info + payload parsing info +
> padding data) and gives only payload data (audio/video) seperately.
>
> I think i have to create a ASF demuxer which removes only the ASF
> header object.and keeps the ASF data packets as it is. So that it can
> be packetize int with RTP payload packetizer.
>
>         Please givme inputs, Do i need to replace "asfdemux" with my
> own ASF demuxer module which should be made as gstreamer plug-in ???
> Or else i can use the same "asfdemux".

You need an asfparser element that puts the asf headers in the output
caps, it would probably also split and timestamp outgoing asf packets.
You also need an asf payloader element that puts the asf packets into
rtp packets.

You could choose to combine the asf parser and rtp payloader into one
element but I would suggest to create two elements because the parser
can be reused when streaming http or mms.

Wim