[gst-devel] Playbin2

Edward Hervey bilboed at gmail.com
Wed Oct 15 09:40:44 CEST 2008

On Tue, 2008-10-14 at 10:53 -0600, Jeffrey Barish wrote:
> Jeffrey Barish wrote:
>
> > It looks as if the about-to-finish signal in playbin2 is for gapless
> > playback, assuming that the signal provides enough time for playbin2 to
> > open the next sound file and that playbin2 finishes playing the current
> > sound file even though I assigned a new sound file to its uri.  The
> > documentation warns that playbin2 is currently unstable.  Indeed, when I
> > try to use it, it doesn't actually play anything.  It finishes "playing"
> > immediately after starting.  Does anyone know when approximately playbin2
> > will be available?  I am using gst version (0, 10, 18, 0) on Kubuntu.
>
> OK, let me try this one: Does anyone whether my theories about the way
> playbin2 works are correct?

Your assumption is correct regarding how you should use playbin2. If you
have some issues with specific files (where it works with playbin but
not with playbin2) please file a bug. Before that you might also want to
test playbin2 from a more recent release (0.10.21 or 0.10.20) where your
issues might have been fixed.

Currently more files/streams play correctly with playbin2 than with
playbin.

--
Edward Hervey <bilboed at gmail.com>
BilboEd