[gst-devel] GUI Video embedding and stream marking

Javier Gálvez Guerrero javier.galvez.guerrero at gmail.com
Wed Oct 15 12:06:13 CEST 2008

Hi everybody,

First of all, let me say I'm a completely newbie in the Gstreamer framework.
I've just read the Application Development Manual to get a big picture of
it. However, I have some doubts regarding what can I really do and how to
achieve it.

I want to develop a GUI-based IPTV client application which plays RTSP, UDP
and local files in an embedded video frame. Due to additional services, I
need to include playlist management and multimedia-synchronized data (such
as, let's say, Mercedes-Benz advertisements when watching a specific scene
in a James Bond movie). So here are my questions:

- How can I embed Gstreamer's video output into my GUI-based C/C++
application?
- I've read that decodebin has playlist support. How can I give it a try?
(any help command?)
- Can I use Gstreamer framework to "mark" media streams and interpret them
when receiving in the client side? I.e. having a video file and add metadata
information in any specific time such as "get Mercedes-Benz ad" in 00:38:34
time instant. Then, while playing, extract this data and handle it properly
in my application.

Maybe my questions can be stupid or simple, I have no experience in video
embedding in C/C++ languages and, as each framework may have its own modus
operandi, here I am asking for some help.

Thank you all so much for your time,
Javi