[gst-devel] Playbin2

Jeffrey Barish jeff_barish at earthlink.net
Wed Oct 15 21:10:12 CEST 2008

Edward Hervey wrote:

> On Tue, 2008-10-14 at 10:53 -0600, Jeffrey Barish wrote:
>> Jeffrey Barish wrote:
>>
>> > It looks as if the about-to-finish signal in playbin2 is for gapless
>> > playback, assuming that the signal provides enough time for playbin2 to
>> > open the next sound file and that playbin2 finishes playing the current
>> > sound file even though I assigned a new sound file to its uri.  The
>> > documentation warns that playbin2 is currently unstable.  Indeed, when
>> > try to use it, it doesn't actually play anything.  It finishes
>> > "playing"
>> > immediately after starting.  Does anyone know when approximately
>> > playbin2
>> > will be available?  I am using gst version (0, 10, 18, 0) on Kubuntu.
>>
>> OK, let me try this one: Does anyone whether my theories about the way
>> playbin2 works are correct?
>>

> Your assumption is correct regarding how you should use playbin2. If you
> have some issues with specific files (where it works with playbin but
> not with playbin2) please file a bug. Before that you might also want to
> test playbin2 from a more recent release (0.10.21 or 0.10.20) where your
> issues might have been fixed.
>
> Currently more files/streams play correctly with playbin2 than with
> playbin.

Thanks for the confirmation.  I will try a newer version as soon as it
appears in a Debian package.

With the version that I have, a second after I set the state to
STATE_PLAYING, the state is

(<enum GST_STATE_CHANGE_FAILURE of type GstStateChangeReturn>, <enum
GST_STATE_READY of type GstState>, <enum GST_STATE_PLAYING of type
GstState>)
--
Jeffrey Barish