[gst-devel] Building, shipping single plugin from -bad

Eric Jonas jonas at MIT.EDU
Tue Oct 28 13:54:28 CET 2008

A software project I'm developing compiles for Ubuntu LTS 8.04, but we
need the plugin dc1394 (which I helped write), that currently lives in
the latest release of -bad.

I'd like to do the following:

1. build only the dc1394 plugin from the newest version of -bad (or,
optionally, CVS)

2. name the plugin something such that users won't confuse my
frankenstein configuration for something supported by gstreamer, ubuntu,
etc.

3. package and ship this as a .deb for ubuntu

Clearly #3 is something I should bug the ubuntu people about, but I'm at
a bit of a loss for #1 and #2. I assume this comes up when you guys are
testing plugins, etc. And I know that it's possible to dynamically
ship/install plugins for gst, and that many distros (including ubuntu)
have support for this (cf Fluendo mp3 codecs). But I'm somewhat at a
loss here.

I think that I can address #1 by using the --with-plugins=dc1394
configure option. So then, we just need to rename it, or come up with
some other recommended scheme of differentiating it.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
	...Eric