[gst-devel] Decodebin doesn't work whereas playbin works, why?

Eric Zhang nicolas.m.zhang at gmail.com
Mon Sep 8 07:23:08 CEST 2008

Hi, gstreamer:

    Recently, I wanna play movies from a rtsp server. I installed
DarwinStreamServer on my laptop and use command line:

    gst-launch playbin uri="rtsp://localhost/test.mp4"

    It works well. But if I use decodebin instead of playbin, error occurs:

    gst-launch rtspsrc location="rtsp://localhost/test.mp4" protocols=1
name=d d. ! decodebin ! queue ! ffmpegcolorspace ! xvimagesink d. !
decodebin ! queue ! audioconvert ! alsasink

    The error message is:

=========================
Setting pipeline to PAUSED ...
Pipeline is live and does not need PREROLL ...
Setting pipeline to PLAYING ...
New clock: GstSystemClock
ERROR: from element /pipeline0/d/udpsrc0: Internal data flow error.
Additional debug info:
gstbasesrc.c(2240): gst_base_src_loop (): /pipeline0/d/udpsrc0:
streaming task paused, reason not-linked (-1)
Execution ended after 117342031 ns.
Setting pipeline to PAUSED ...
Setting pipeline to READY ...
Setting pipeline to NULL ...
FREEING pipeline ...

    I noticed sometimes decodebin works but mostly it fails. What tricks
does playbin do to make it work? I skimed the source codes of playbin and
found out that it also use decodebin inside.

    Thanks a lot. I really appreciate your suggestions.

Eric Zhang