[gst-devel] rtspwms element query

Wim Taymans wim.taymans at gmail.com
Mon Sep 15 17:42:46 CEST 2008

On Mon, 2008-09-15 at 16:51 +0530, ajitjohn wrote:
> Hii,
>
> 	I am doing a project in which i am supposed to stream .asf  file using
> gstreamer to a client pc which has a wmp player.So to acheive this aim can i
> use the element ffmux_asf written by you  and directly stream using
> udpsink.Is my understanding correct regarding this.Can you suggest all
> possible alternatives to stream asf file using gstreamer and receive throgh
> wmp player at the client side.

Hello,

Dude, stop posting this same question around to a zillion of people
multiple times. Nobody is able to answer your question because it is
underspecified. Also there is no easy answer to your question, you are
asking people how to write a multimedia streaming server.

Anyway, I'll start with the possibilities and give you an idea on how to
implement them.

First use case is where we assume the asf file is already available on
the server. This can be, for example, achieved by transcoding (google
gentrans for a gstreamer based transcoder) and uploading an asf file to
the streaming server.

 - stream asf over http: Install a webserver, upload the file, stream
   the file with http. No GStreamer involved here although you could
   write a custom web module that hands a file descriptor to a gstreamer
   pipeline that uses fdsink to stream to the client. I believe
   flumotion has code for this in the proprietary extensions.

 - stream asf over mms. This is basically writing a custom mms server,
   documents on how mms works can be found on the internets although my
   experience is that most documents are not very accurate. There is no
   code in GStreamer that you can reuse for this task. I'm also not
   aware of an open source implementation of such a server. I would not
   recommend walking this path, microsoft is discontinuing mms in favour
   of rtsp.

 - stream asf over rtsp. You'll need to write an RTSP server that
   configures the gstreamer transport pipeline. You'll also need to
   write an asf payloader both for udp and tcp transports. A document on
   how an rtsp server would work in gstreamer can be found here:
http://webcvs.freedesktop.org/gstreamer/gst-plugins-good/gst/rtsp/README?revision=1.5&view=markup
   There are a bunch of helper libraries in the gstreamer plugins base
   module that can assist you in creating and parsing RTSP messages, SDP
   messages and RTP packets.

Second use case would be when you need to transcode or encode into an
asf stream on the fly. We're talking about live capture or live
transcoding. For this you will need wma/wmv encoders and a good asf
muxer. ffmux_asf is not a good muxer, I would not use it. I understand
Fluendo can provide these encoders and muxers to you.

Again I would recommend using either a http server or an rtsp server to
prepare the gstreamer transcoding/encoding pipelines.

Hope this helps,

Wim