[gst-devel] about GStreamer performance problem

Marc Leeman marc.leeman at gmail.com
Tue Apr 14 09:54:35 CEST 2009

> I did such a test:
> make an HDV camera connect to a PC, I call it PC1, and then streaming the mpeg2ts video data captured from this device with:
> hdv1394src ! queue ! mpegtsparse ! rtpmp2tpay ! udpsink host=192.168.1.100 port=500
> and some other stuff, such as gstrtpbin  related.
> and then I received the stream on PC2 use GStreamer pipeline first, and VLC to compare.

Yeah,

just don't use gstrtpbin and use udpsrc, gstrtpjitter and gstptdemux
instead (a subset of udpsrc). I've written a bin that does this for this
problem with pretty good results.

gstrtpbin does way too much buffering with the default params; haven't
tested tweaking them.

The same is actually true for rtspsrc (which uses gstrtpbin).

> I found that GStreamer's performance is rather bad, the delay is more
> than 3 seconds, which of VLC is 1.2s.

gstrtpbin loads the CPU, that's right.

--
  greetz, marc