[gst-devel] alsa acting weird

Eran Rundstein eranrund at gmail.com
Wed Apr 22 18:39:18 CEST 2009

Hello everyone,

I am attempting to use gstreamer (0.10.22, bad plugins 0.10.11, base plugins
0.10.22, ugly plugins 0.10.11) on an ARM board running Linux.
I am trying this simple pipe:
audiotestsrc ! audioconvert ! audioresample ! alsasink

It plays for a second or two and then stops playing. I have edited the
source of the alsasink to have it write data to a file as well. What I am
seeing, is that after around 100 writes (gst_alsasink_write), the buffer i
am getting consists of only zeros.
(I have used a simple loop there to check that)

Playing an mp3 file using mplayer works ok, so I am assuming my ARM board is
functioning well.
The same happens when I try to enforce audio stream settings (44.1khz, 1 or
2 chan, 16 width/depth) - to make sure the alsasink receives exactly the
same kind of format the mplayer player outputs successfully.

If I try to use the filesink, the output pcm file (using the pipe
audiotestsrc ! audioconvert !
audio/x-raw-int,endianness=1234,signed=true,width=16,depth=16,rate=44100,channels=2
! audioresample ! filesink location=/moo.pcm) plays flawlessly.

Any help would be greatly appretiated.

Many thanks,
Eran.