[gst-devel] BaseSink "sync" property

Jon Burgess jkburges at gmail.com
Wed Apr 29 12:26:21 CEST 2009

Wim,

> > Does turning sink off just result in the sink rendering it as soon as
> > it gets data?
>
> Essentially, yes. Data is played when it arrives when sync=false. When
> sync=true, it uses the timestamps on the buffers to wait for right time
> for playback. If the playback is stuttering this is usually because of
> a) starvation, something is not feeding data fast enough b) bad
> timestamps c) not enough CPU power to decode things. a) is unlikely with
> a default jitterbuffer of 3secs in rtspsrc c) is also unlikely if it's
> smooth with sync=false. So, it's likely b) bad timestamps. Make sure you
> have a recent ffmpeg package (reordered buffers had bad timestamps in
> earlier versions). The payloader is probably fine, even for slightly
> older versions.

I think also it is unlikely a) or c), because my dev box is an el-cheapo
Intel PC (where it works), and the test machine is a fairly new Dell server
(where it doesn't work), so it has a lot more CPU power...

I'll investigate b) though, especially since hardy ubuntu packages are
likely a bit older than the most recent versions of things...

Thanks for the help,
Jono