[gst-devel] Question about DVD playback, Inputs, IPTV

Jens Schneider pupeider at gmx.de
Thu Apr 30 08:14:17 CEST 2009

Hi,

currently i use the xine engine to play DVD, DVB and IP streams. I use the so called "raw callback" to get the video stream and put it on a self-initialized backend like XSHM, XVSHM, FBDEV, ...

I have heard good things about the GStreamer and the support of the TI Davinci chipset. So currently i think about to connect our application to the GStreamer.

After a few days of analysis and coding i have a few question marks - probably due to ignorance.

I have started with the latest tar archives from gstreamer and plugins. First i have implemented the DVD support. Basically i use playbin to give an uri (in this case dvd://) to the gstreamer pipe. This is very easy :).
I use the plugin fakesink (instead of the xine raw callback). I get an I420 buffer and blit it to the destination. This works fine. :)

Then i saw, that the DVD menu is not shown. I have installed the plugin dvdnav from ugly. This works generally, but i saw no menu overlays (no selection). Then i found out that the usage of the resindvd plugin is suggested. I have installed it, but no changing.

So my question is, what will be suggested?
And what is the status about full DVD support?

Furthermore our application gets the inputs (mouse, keyboard, touch screem) from the system. So we know all about the user inputs and would like to put it in the gstreamer pipe (or something like that). So the dvdnav or the resindvd plugin can process the inputs.

How can i do it?

Another question is, that the resindvd resides in the bad plugins package.
What does "bad" means?
Is it not recommended to use it?
I found no documentation about dvdnav and resindvd.
Is it in progress? How can i get the available properties of it?

Next i will try gstreamer and IPTV.
Which plugins (or which pipe) i have to use?
Can i work with playbin?

After this i plan to check the TI Davinci support.
Can you please give me a link or a recommendation for that?

Thanks in advance.

Regards
Jens