[gst-devel] Question on re-do playback with self-developed elements

Tim-Philipp Müller t.i.m at zen.co.uk
Thu Dec 10 23:59:16 CET 2009

On Thu, 2009-12-10 at 23:54 +0200, Stefan Kost wrote:

> > [Weian] After playing a video, will totem de-construct the pipeline or
> > just set the state to NULL?
>
> Most app throw away everything and start with a new playbin every time. Element
> reuse need more testing.

I don't think that's true. All apps I know create a playbin(2) element
once at startup and re-use that, setting the state to NULL or READY when
changing between songs/videos. Totem certainly does. playbin(2) is meant
to be reused.

However, playbin(2) will likely remove and free any demuxer/decoder
elements it plugged for a stream (after setting them to NULL state), and
re-create them for the next stream if needed.

 Cheers
  -Tim