[gst-devel] RTSP stream and seeking operations

Aleksey Yulin ulin at tut.by
Tue Feb 24 10:08:30 CET 2009

I'm implementing a video player application that should be able to play
mpeg2ts from RTSP server. Everything seems to be working fine. The only
problem I've faced is that SEEK operation doesn't work when rendering RTSP
streams (in the same time it works just fine with local mpeg4 files).
gst_element_seek call just fails and rendering is stopped.

My pipeline looks like follows:

source -> decodebin -> videobin (queue -> ffmpegcolorspace -> autovideosink)
                               -> audiobin (queue -> audioconvert ->
audioresample -> volume -> autoaudiosink)

source is created using ::gst_element_make_from_uri() function. I beleive
it's rtspsrc in my case.

I've checked what RTSP requests are being sent to the server and as I could
see there's a valid seek request (i'm seeking to the 5th second from the
beginning of the stream):

PLAY
Range: npt=5.0000-

Then the server responds with 200 OK:

status line: 200 OK
Range: npt=4-579

The communication seems to look OK, but gst_element_seek fails then and
stream is stopped (I don't see any state change notifications though).

I tried to play the same rtsp stream using Totem player, but the seek
operation seems to be unavailabe there too. This looks really strange as
RTSP server supports seeking and the rtspsrc seems to send seek command
correctly.

Where I might be wrong here? May be seeking RTSP streams require some
additional actions to do?

Thanks in advance!