[gst-devel] Orc-0.4.1 - The Oil Runtime Compiler

Sebastian Dröge sebastian.droege at collabora.co.uk
Sat Jul 4 10:13:14 CEST 2009

Am Donnerstag, den 02.07.2009, 15:34 -0700 schrieb David Schleef:

> [...]
> Much of Schroedinger and GStreamer have been converted to use Orc
> instead of liboil, as well as converting code that wasn't able to
> use liboil.  To enable this in Schroedinger, use the --enable-orc
> configure option.  The GStreamer changes are in the orc branch in
> the repository at http://cgit.freedesktop.org/~ds/gstreamer

When do you plan to push this changes to the main GIT repository? Also,
will orc be an optional dependency?

And what will happen if orc is used on an architecture (mips, alpha, x86
without MMX and stuff)? Will orc simply fail then or is there a slow
fallback implementation?

Oh, and I saw you started to convert audioconvert to orc. If you want to
continue this just some notes:
- The dithering can also be done as a simple addition from some random
values array. This could be initialized once when the format changes and
be used as a read-only ring buffer, it just has to be large enough. This
should make it possible to also implement the dithering with orc.
- The multichannel conversion routines need some kind of matrix
operations. Is this what you mean with 2-D array mode?

> Scheduled changes for 0.4.2 include a 2-D array mode for converting
> the remaining liboil functions used in Schroedinger and GStreamer.

Will it also be possible at some point to write things like
for (i = 0; i < N; i+=2)
  d[i] = s[i] + s[i+1]
with orc?