[gst-devel] gstreamer and video device probing

Stefan Kost ensonic at hora-obscura.de
Mon Jun 1 13:05:11 CEST 2009

Filippo Argiolas schrieb:
> Now that HAL is going away I'm looking for a good replacement for the
> v4l device detection code in Cheese.
> At the moment we ask HAL to give us a list of devices from the
> video4linux subsystem and we do a couple of ioctls to see if the
> device is a v4l2 or v4l1 one and if it supports the CAPTURE
> capability. Those ioctls aren't really needed because HAL already does
> that stuff for us but I found it out only yesterday :P
> Anyway, the purpose of those ioctls is to exclude each non-webcam
> device (tuners, radios, vbis, etc) before to start the gstreamer
> pipeline.
> This way we can reduce a lot the time needed for device probing
> (starting a v4l*src pipeline can be quite slow) and we can avoid
> "garbage" in the device list.
> At first I thought I could just replace the HAL stuff with DeviceKit,
> but DeviceKit is going away too in favor of plain libudev [1].

Your patch needs to be applied by someone who can vaerify it. I have no
libudev in my distro :/
> So the next step should be to port Cheese to libudev, but as David
> suggested [2], why not to do the detection directly in Gstreamer?
> As far as I can tell the current option with Gstreamer is to use the
> PropertyProbe interface.
> But as it is at the moment it's suboptimal for our needs:
> - the device detection code in v4l?src just tries to open
> /dev/v4l/video* and /dev/video* devices. It doesn't even check the V4L
> api they support.
> Wouldn't be better to use libudev to enumerate all the devices from
> the video4linux subsystem?

I commented in the bug, maybe we should use this for all kind of
hardware sources and sinks.

> - there seems to be no way to get video device capabilities without
> starting a pipeline, both v4lsrc and v4l2src implement (and not in a
> good way) propertyprobe just for the "device" property. Would it be
> possible to use propertyprobe for "flags" property too? is it possible
> to fix a property (i.e. the device) and probe another one (i.e. the
> flags)?
> What I'd like to do is:
> pspec = gst_property_probe_get_property (probe, "device");
> GValueArray *array = gst_property_probe_probe_and_get_values (probe, pspec);
> for (i = 0; i < array->n_values; i++) {
>      g_object_set_property (G_OBJECT (element), "device", device);
>      pspec = gst_property_probe_get_property (probe, "flags");
>      /* get flags for the current device */
> }
> Linking and playing a simple pipeline for each device just for exclude
> radios and tuners is not exactly optimal from my point of view.

I don't think it has to be played. You probably not even need to link it
as READY is enough for getting it to open the device.

> - there is no way to monitor new devices attached. At the moment we
> don't use such a thing but wouldn't be bad to have it. But does it fit
> in gstreamer purpose?

I don't think so, I use HAL in buzztard to detect devices. There is
nothing in gstreamer that is guaranteed to always run.

I hope other developers comment here too.

Stefan