[gst-devel] ffdec and QoS

Arnout Vandecappelle arnout at mind.be
Wed Jun 10 10:15:29 CEST 2009

On Tuesday 09 June 2009 19:50:29 Wim Taymans wrote:
> >  The core of the problem, I think, is that the QoS handling doesn't take
> > into account pipeline latency.  It just assumes that throughput =
> > 1/latency and doesn't seem to take into account that data can be buffered
> > in the pipeline.
>
> QoS does take latency into account (or else RTSP or RTP streams would
> never play). It's probably that ffmpeg totally does not specify its
> latency and thus it seems that buffers are simply arriving too late.
> Adding a meaningful reply to the LATENCY query in ffmpeg will likely
> solve this.

 Sounds good.  How does ffmpeg know the latency, though?  It buffers one
frame, but since the framerate is unknown you can't convert this to time, can
you?

 Regards,
 Arnout

--
Arnout Vandecappelle                               arnout at mind be
Senior Embedded Software Architect                 +32-16-286540