[gst-devel] Elements of Mixer Interface

Tim-Philipp Müller t.i.m at zen.co.uk
Fri Jun 12 09:53:58 CEST 2009

On Fri, 2009-06-12 at 00:00 -0300, Guilherme wrote:

Hi,

could you please not 'hijack' existing mailing list threads by replying
to them with a new question, but instead send a new message to the list
for new questions that's not a reply? Thanks!

> Mates, is there somewhere I can find all elements a mixer interface can
> control?
>
> Ex. "volume", for mutting and other??
>
> In the mixer interface page I just found a brief description of it!

You can search the default registry for elements that implement the
interface. This is rarely useful, however. You should only really have
to use the GstMixer interface if you want to control hardware volume,
ie. if you're writing a mixer applet or so.

Most applications should leave the hardware mixer control to the OS /
desktop environment and just use software volume control for their
streams in form of the volume element (or the 'volume' property on the
audio sink if it has one). For that you shouldn't have to use the mixer
interface: the volume element has 'mute' and 'volume' properties which
are easier to use than the interface as well.

Cheers
 -Tim