[gst-devel] Slow down videos

Maximilan Hoegner maxi at hg.homeunix.org
Mon Jun 15 14:58:15 CEST 2009

Hi,
is there some simple gst-launch-pipeline to slow down a video file?
Something like

gst-launch-0.10 filesrc location=in.wav ! slowdown ! filesink=out.wav

I know that I can play a video slower if I send a seek event with rate
!= 1.0. But seeking doesn't seem to work with filesink, and I don't know
how to seek when using gst-launch, if this is possible. So is there a
simple pipeline I can use with gst-launch?

In case there is not:

Is there another way of seeking that does work with filesink? I also
tried sync=TRUE for the filesink, which had no effect.
Perhaps I made some mistake in my program structure. I first set the
state of the pipeline to playing. Then I do a get_state to wait for the
state change to complete (otherwise seeking has no effect at all, even
when not using filesink). Then I call

gst_element_seek(pipeline, 0.5, GST_FORMAT_TIME, GST_SEEK_FLAG_FLUSH,
GST_SEEK_TYPE_SET, 0, GST_SEEK_TYPE_NONE, GST_CLOCK_TIME_NONE);

which should set the playback rate to 0.5. After that I run the
gmainloop. This does indeed work if I do not use filesink, but when I
use it, the file is not slowed down at all (seeking to another position
doesn't work either). Anything wrong about that?
I suspect that the work is already done when the program reaches the
seek line, because state is set to playing before. Doing it the other
way round does not work however, the seek event does not get handled then.

Thank you for your help,
Maxi