[gst-devel] Multiple camera streams and v4l2src

Vincent Bossier vincent.bossier at gmail.com
Thu Jun 18 21:51:18 CEST 2009

When connecting two webcams to my Linux computer (Ubuntu 9.04), I try
to visualize both streams simultaneously with the following commands:

gst-launch v4l2src device=/dev/video0 ! xvimagesink
gst-launch v4l2src device=/dev/video1 ! xvimagesink

The first command leads well to a window displaying the video stream
from the first camera. The second command leads to a scrambled video
with the following error logs in the shell:

Setting pipeline to PAUSED ...
Pipeline is live and does not need PREROLL ...
Setting pipeline to PLAYING ...
New clock: GstSystemClock
libv4lconvert: Error decompressing JPEG: fill_nbits error: need 3 more bits
libv4lconvert: Error decompressing JPEG: fill_nbits error: need 1 more bits
libv4lconvert: Error decompressing JPEG: fill_nbits error: need 4 more bits
libv4lconvert: Error decompressing JPEG: fill_nbits error: need 1 more bits
libv4lconvert: Error decompressing JPEG: fill_nbits error: need 2 more bits
libv4lconvert: Error decompressing JPEG: fill_nbits error: need 5 more bits

When launched one at a time, each command is successfull.

Is there a known limitation preventing to display two video pipelines
(coming from v2lsrc?) at the same time?

Thank you,

Vincent