[gst-devel] No dispose/finalize fuction in "RTPSEND" element in gst-plugin-farsight

Edward Hervey bilboed at gmail.com
Tue Jun 30 08:37:07 CEST 2009

On Tue, 2009-06-30 at 11:29 +0530, Aniruddha wrote:
> Hello Folks,
>                 I am using rtpsend plugin for one of my application
> and I observed that there is a memory leak in the application.

  The first step would be to use the appropriate tools for finding what
is leaking. Most of us use valgrind's memcheck tool for that.

>  When I investigated the rtpsend plugin, I found that there is no
> dispose/finalize function implemented for the same. Is it not
> required? If it is required, then how do I implement it? Can it be the
> cause of memory leak?

  dispose/finalize are not obligatory. It depends where new memory is
being allocated, and if it's being allocated in the 'reverse' method.

  For ex:
  Allocation in _init() => deallocation in dispose/finalize
  Allocation in NULL to READY => deallocation in READY to NULL

  So you first need to find where the memory leak is, and then follow
the usage of the leaked memory until you find the place where it's no
longer used but still referenced.

   Edward