[gst-devel] [directdrawsink] Overlay Support?

Ole André Vadla Ravnås oleavr at gmail.com
Sun Mar 1 22:27:55 CET 2009

Hi,

On Sun, Mar 1, 2009 at 8:16 PM, Thomas Loewe <lazyt at gmx.net> wrote:
> is there a Chance to (re?)add Overlay-Support to the directdrawsink?

The reason nobody is, and nobody should, be working on directdrawsink
is that the DirectDraw API has been officially deprecated since 1999.
So even if directdrawsink was 'perfect' your application's users are
bound to suffer from driver-specific bugs, as display drivers may
optionally accelerate certain DirectDraw operations, and you never
know how many obscure bugs you may hit because of code paths barely
ever tested by the vendors. (Either that or they haven't bothered
accelerating anything, meaning you'll suffer from expensive software
fallbacks.) Their testing efforts tend to be focused on modern
applications, hence not DirectDraw-based ones. (This isn't just
something I'm dreaming up, I've seen it happen in real life. The
solution is simply to avoid directdrawsink and instead improve
dshowvideosink.)

Cheers,
Ole André