[gst-devel] Gstreamer GUI embedding

Florent fthiery at gmail.com
Fri Mar 6 22:51:16 CET 2009

> I would like to know how to embed the GStreamer video output in a GUI, so,
> as I am not an expert in neither of the two frameworks, I would like you to
> help me in this issue. Once I get some clues I will study the
> technologies/frameworks to be used.

Hi Javier,

For GUI integration, you might want to take a look at primarily
gobject-based technologies, such as GTK, clutter or pigment.

> Which GUI framework for the Linux environment is the better/most usually
> used to embed GStreamer in? What I need is a sort of media player, so I have
> to embed the video frame. Is there any tutorial or sample code so I can get
> an idea of how to do it?

You may want to take a look at the following:
* for gtk (the most widely used GUI framework for gstreamer apps like
Totem), check out the vumeter example
(./gst-python/examples/switch.py) in the git/cvs repos. Not a pure
video displaying example, but a starting point
* for clutter, check out [1] or [2] (decodebin-powered media player example)
* for pigment, check out [3]

[1] http://git.clutter-project.org/cgit.cgi?url=bindings/pyclutter/tree/examples/videosink.py&h=pyclutter-0-8
[2] http://candies.ubicast.eu/trac.cgi/browser/trunk/tests/test_video.py
[3] https://code.fluendo.com/pigment/trac/browser/branches/pigment-python-widgets/examples/video.py?rev=1287