[gst-devel] [RFC] Moving away from 'common'

Felipe Contreras felipe.contreras at gmail.com
Thu Mar 12 00:42:16 CET 2009

On Thu, Mar 12, 2009 at 1:08 AM, David Schleef <ds at entropywave.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 11, 2009 at 04:25:11PM -0600, Stuart Jansen wrote:
>> >
>> > Feel free to remove gst-openmax from the common-update script.
>>
>> Is that a nice way of saying "if you don't like the game, feel free to
>> take your ball and leave"?
>
> Heh, no.  The purpose of updating common everywhere is to make sure
> that any regressions are noticed quickly.  If gst-openmax isn't (as)
> actively developed like, say, gst-plugins-good, then regressions
> probably *won't* get noticed quickly, and it would be better for a
> developer to update common manually.

I doubt the GStreamer project in general is interested in finding
regressions quickly in 'common', regressions anywhere else are more
important and are taking much more time right now. I find very low
value in that.

Also, I just did a git bisect in gst-openmax and again, automatic
common updates just introduced noise. Annoying-productivity-decreasing
noise.

If somebody is interested in finding regressions in 'common' he can
manually update common in all the repositories he is interested in,
and test. Whenever there's a new feature in 'common' that person is
interested in, he can commit the 'common' update in his favourite
repos and make use of the feature. Otherwise I don't see any value in
updating common. For example, somebody adds the 'shave' stuff into
'common'... should all the modules be updated because of that? No,
only the ones that would actually make use of it, the automatic update
is a complete waste of resources.

Besides, if automatic submodule updates are so good how could Xorg
survive without them? Are they finding regressions in xorg-util too
late?

So coming back to my proposal, your response suggests that detaching
common would be bad because we will loose automatic updates. Is that
the case?

--
Felipe Contreras