[gst-devel] using ORC for g729 documentation

Gibro Vacco gibrovacco at gmail.com
Mon Mar 16 22:45:21 CET 2009

Hello,

> > some notes about the opensource g729-compatible codec (with gstreamer
> > elements) I posted some weeks ago on this mailing list.
> > First of all, I've seen, Laurent Glayal has posted another
> > announcement aboput a parallel project in the meanwhile.. I wonder if
> > a join could be possible.
>
>  Definitely, but what does Laurent Glayal's version adds compared to
> the existing ones ? Also, where is it hosted ?

afaik Laurent submitted a patch and a bug was filed about him
submittign it on gst-plugins-bad but in git history I don't see any
commit about g729 so far.

Sorry for the trivial question, but.. what are you referring about
"the existing ones" are there other g729 gstreamer implementations I
didn't notice? A global join could give us some very nice stuff..

>  ORC is part of liboil. I'd recommend checking it out and having a look
> at the examples. The git version of libschroedinger can use orc if
> available.

so we have at least one working proof of concept.

>  ORC is still in active development AFAIK, but maybe David Schleef can
> confirm/infirm that statement,

Even if at a beta stage, ORC deserves to give it at least a try. I'll
follow the examples and, if needed, join the IRC channel to annoy some
skilled gstreamer developer.

Thank you for the answer,

Gibro