[gst-devel] Need advice on video format to use

Albert Costa costa_albert at yahoo.fr
Wed Mar 18 17:28:19 CET 2009

Hi,
I would need some help and advice from people about a video format issue:
in the gtreamer application I am developping, I need to get video from a live source, process it and save it to file as well. While the source is beeing processed, I have another pipeline that would read the video from file, and render the results with some overlay. The video (while replayed) must be seekable and queryable for position and duration. Some kind of timeshifting, in other words.
I have tried with following pipelines (I skipped the process part for reading convenience, that doesn't change the pb):

recorder side:
ksvideosrc ! ffmpegcolorspace ! ffenc_mpeg2video ! ffmux_mpegts ! filesink location=record.mpg

player side:
filesrc location=record.mpg ! decodebin ! ffmpegcolorspace ! dshowvideosink
(and my gui allows the user to send a seek from a slider control, pause, play...)

My problem is that with ffmux_mpegts, the video is not seekable in the player (bug 550634). If I remove the ts muxer, my file is seekable, but I cannot get duration/position in my stream... Is there any current solution with gstreamer to have a video format that has all transport-streaming + seeking + position/duration querying capabilities???
Btw, I'm using the gstreamer-winbuilds delivery on win32.
Thanks for any help...
Regards,
Al