[gst-devel] video sink to update OpenGL texture?

Martin Luessi mluessi at gmail.com
Mon Mar 23 17:02:00 CET 2009

> I assume you are only trying to display gst-originating (decoded
> video) video inside your Gl app. If so, you can prototype things using
> the fakesink element, by connecting it's handoff signals to a texture
> upload in your application. See [1] and [2] for more info
>
> Florent
>
> [1] http://gstreamer.freedesktop.org/data/doc/gstreamer/head/manual/html/section-data-spoof.html
> [2] http://gstreamer.freedesktop.org/data/doc/gstreamer/head/gstreamer-plugins/html/gstreamer-plugins-fakesink.html#GstFakeSink-handoff

Florent,

thanks for all your tips. I played around using the fakesink element
with the handoff signal. However, as my application is python based,
this cannot be the final solution, as it is pretty poor performance
wise. Also, I don't feel like writing and a C based python extension
for this. I then started looking into that clutter library that also
Jan mentioned. I had never heard of clutter before, but it is
absolutely amazing and seems to be exactly the right thing to build a
presentation tool on. Displaying video is trivial using the 'gstreamer
actor'. Also, I found that there are python bindings for poppler,
which makes it really easy to render PDF files into clutter (they can
be rendered directly into the CairoTexture actor).

So, after all, I will rewrite everything using clutter and poppler.
The final goal is to have something similar to 'impressive' [1], but
with more focus on overlaying video and animations on top of the PDF
and better support for beamer based presentations (i.e. all the
animation and video related things can be embedded in the latex file
and are parsed by the tool).

Best,

Martin

[1] http://impressive.sourceforge.net