[gst-devel] jpegparse element

Tim-Philipp Müller t.i.m at zen.co.uk
Mon May 18 10:58:37 CEST 2009

On Mon, 2009-05-18 at 10:33 +0200, Arnout Vandecappelle wrote:

Hi,

> [jpegparse] I couldn't find any other element that does it, so I'll make one.

Great!

> * I'll make sure there are docs and a test, should it still be created in -bad
> first?

I think it'd be okay to just add it to the existing plugin in -good so
jpegdec and jpegparse can share that code.

> * Is a simple-launch-lines test sufficient?

Well, it would be nice if there was a unit test that split/parsed a
stream of N concatenated (small) jpegs (see tests/files and e.g. the
flacdec or id3demux tests). Whether that's via a simple launch line or
otherwise doesn't really matter that much.

> * I hope it's OK to shamelessly rip code from jpegdec?

ITYM "re-use" "leverage" "synergy" etc.

> * Once the jpegparse element exists in -good, that functionality should be
> removed from jpegdec - with the rank and parsed=true trick that is also used
> in mpeg4 and h264.  While I'm hacking away, it's a simple thing for me to
> remove this stuff from jpegdec too.  However, I don't suppose it's a good
> idea to remove this functionality right away.  Should I file it as a 0.11
> target enhancement?

You can't remove that functionality from jpegdec now - people might have
static pipelines that rely on this feature.

I think it would be best to make jpegdec derive from jpegparse once it
exists and then just add a /* FIXME 0.11: */ comment somewhere in the
code in case we do want to fix this in 0.11.

Cheers
 -Tim